Important things to understand about flea control
Fleas are a challenging pest, but you’re in good hands with Thrasher Termite & Pest Control. Our Thrasher technicians are experienced in providing relief from fleas and other biting insects.
Flea control involves treating inside your house, the outside perimeter of your house, and your lawn and garden area. AND we must perform two treatments 10 to 14 days apart to kill adult fleas and fleas that hatch after the first treatment. It is crucial that you immediately place your pet on an oral or topical flea medication or a preventative treatment recommended by your vet. Flea collars are ineffective.
Most clients want our technicians to get rid of fleas immediately and that takes preparation—BEFORE OUR TECHNICIAN ARRIVES! If you’re not prepared, we won’t be able to perform a service and will have to schedule service at another time
Here’s how to prepare OUTSIDE for flea treatment:
- Pull items such as potted plants, firewood, tools, and bikes away from the sides of the house and garage.
- Rake leaves off the lawn.
- Store children’s toys in the garage or well away from the house.
- Stay out of the yard during treatment and for two hours after treatment.
Here’s how to prepare INSIDE for flea treatment:
- Remove all items from surfaces the kitchen. Store items inside the cabinets.
- IMPORTANT: ALL SURFACES IN THE HOME MUST BE CLEARED AND PREPARED OR WE WILL BE UNABLE TO PERFORM A FLEA SERVICE.
- Vacuum all carpets, upholstered furniture and under furniture cushions, and then empty the vacuum outside.
- Leave sofa cushions on end.
- Wash all pet bedding and other material that frequently comes in contact with your pet.
- Turn off the air conditioner and heater.
- Close all windows.
- THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT: Store all kids’ toys and books inside a closed closet or in the bathroom.
- Put away pet toys and bowls.
- Remove cats, dogs, bunnies, birds, and other pets from the house. Locking your cat or dog in the bathroom is not sufficient.
- Disconnect fish tank. Cover fish or reptile tank with a damp towel or plastic.
- Stay out of your home during treatment and for 4 hours after treatment. Your technician will let you know when you may return.
July 18, 2016
February 6, 2014
The itch of flea bites may linger up to two weeks. Once you're on your way to controlling fleas in your home, try some of these home remedies for flea bite itch relief. As with [...]