During spring and summer, western boxelder bugs (Boisea rubrolineata) primarily feed on the leaves, flowers and seedpods of female boxelder trees, but these distinctive ½ inch long black and red bugs may be found throughout your California garden, whether or not there is a […]
To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit – ever. –Carl Spackler, Caddyshack
If your yard has ever been pockmarked by gophers or moles, Carl’s desperate use of plastic explosives may start looking like a good idea. (It’s […]
In Riverside County, late at night a woman walked in the yard of a home she shared with her children. She found a soft drink bottle in a shed and drank from it. It tasted bad, so she assumed it had “gone bad” and threw it out. Two days later, she told her daughter she had experienced symptoms, which […]
“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”–Maya Angelou
It’s quite fitting that the image accompanying this post shows a butterfly alighting on the head of a Thrasher staff member’s teenage son. Ms. Angelou wrote often about transformation. The same staffer once heard the great poet speak in […]
In San Joaquin County, a 23-year-old man spotted a fly on his beer can, and sprayed an insecticide on the can. Later, as he drank from the can, his lips began to tingle.
None of these “blunders” — compiled from DPR’s Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program — resulted in death, although most victims required medical treatment. Don’t be a statistic. If […]
A Los Angeles County homeowner saw a bug in her bathroom and sprayed it with a pesticide. As the bug kept moving, the 66-year-old woman kept on spraying — until the fumes overwhelmed her, and she immediately sought medical attention.
None of these “blunders” — compiled from DPR’s Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program — resulted in death, although most victims required […]
An elderly Fresno County woman entered her house to look for a cat after her son-in-law set off several insect foggers to rid the residence of roaches. She inhaled the fogger mist and began coughing. Her son-in-law called for an ambulance to take her to a hospital for treatment.
None of these “blunders” — compiled from DPR’s Pesticide Illness Surveillance […]
In Orange County, a dog owner with asthma hugged her one-pound puppy shortly after it received a liquid flea control treatment from the woman’s veterinarian. It was later determined that the puppy was treated with a dosage meant for larger dogs. The owner experienced shortness of breath, blurry vision, and other symptoms. The puppy also apparently suffered ill effects.
At a San Bernardino County fast-food outlet, a customer at the drive-through window bought iced tea and noticed a foul taste, followed by a burning throat and nasal passages. The cup apparently contained some sanitizer from an improperly rinsed tea machine. (Similar case reported in Los Angeles County.)
None of these “blunders” — compiled from DPR’s Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program […]
In San Joaquin County, a man heavily sprayed his barbecue for ants one morning. That evening, he used the treated side to cook hamburger. He felt sick minutes after eating the meat. He sought care after vomiting all night. The insecticide label requires users to protect food handling equipment from contamination.
This incident is one of […]